Welcome to the blog of Sam Morgan, a designer/maker based in london and the face behind Spinifex. He produces eco-friendly furniture and products for the home. Please feel free to post any feedback on spinifex, furniture, materials or anything else you wish to talk about.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

day 10

I've made tracks through Delhi, Lucknow and Allahabad.
I am now in Khajuraho. I hope here to visit an eco-friendly organisation. In the village they have banned the use of polythene bags as a measure to try and stem the disposal of the items into the environment.
I have noticed so far that in certain tea stalls use fired clay cups. These are very simple to make and are disposed of after use. The same applies to food stalls which use pressed leaf bowls.
I makes me wonder why we (In the west) ever thought of using polystyrene. The waste and harm they cause does not seem like progress to me. We need to use appropriate materials for the task at hand.
I have also found the temples of Khajuraho amazing. They are covered from top to bottom with statues and pattern blocks which are cut as if they are modern constructions. The blocks repeat themselves with a strong awareness of the need to be mass-produced. There are at least twelve large temples here. They have given me ideas for fired terracotta objects.

My thoughts and ideas are developing as a travel. I hope to have more new opinions to write soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home