Welcome to the blog of Sam Morgan, a designer/maker based in london and the face behind Spinifex. He produces eco-friendly furniture and products for the home. Please feel free to post any feedback on spinifex, furniture, materials or anything else you wish to talk about.

Friday, July 25, 2008

The flight home

Sorry I've not written recently. Alot has happened since Vilankulos. I headed north to Chimoio with friends from the backpackers. I was late booking a ticket the day before and the bus was full but thanks to a helpful local space was found for me in the front seat. There's always space for one more! It was good to make it inland away from the beach for abit. I stayed with two canadians I'd met in Chimoio for one night and then we left for Manica (on the Zim border) because all accomodation was booked up. Manica is even higher up and well away from the tourist trail. I saw some ancient rock paintings after abit of a hike into the bush. An old lady who lived in a small village close by was my guide for a few hundred mts.
The last week I've spent alone in Beira and the long bus trips back to Jo'burg. From Beira to Vilankulos was the worst, in a rickety old chapa that was badly packed and painfully slow. It may have been wiser to fly from Beira but I want to see things more from a local perspective. Having said that the one thing I've learn't is that I'm white and will never be able to travel without being singled out. Africa is reclaiming what was taken by us piece by piece. I hope soon I can walk here as part of a mixed community (as in the uk) but the debt is still to be repaid in full.
My one night in Maputo was spent with a British couple (who happen to know one of the art handlers) who I passed on my advice to since they are heading north to Malawi.

I hope to see everyone soon at various points when I'm back. Just the long flight home to go. I'll use my Zen mind trick that I've adapted to block out intense pain while seated for hours in a row!

Cheers

Sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home