Welcome to the blog of Sam Morgan, a designer/maker based in london and the face behind Spinifex. He produces eco-friendly furniture and products for the home. Please feel free to post any feedback on spinifex, furniture, materials or anything else you wish to talk about.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

day 26

This maybe my final posting. I'm in Kolkata before I fly home early on Thursday morning. The time has breezed past and I wonder what I've learnt. It would be nice to have abit of time to reflect but it's straight back into the fire when I return. Maybe I can find some time on the plane?

Kolkata is great. I'd heard it was a crumbling mess. At best other travellers had said it was OK. I'm amazed at how well this city functions. Besides the usual modes of transport it has a tram and underground system. They are constructing huge flyovers in some parts to get traffic over the most congested spots. The congestion I think has led to an awareness of traffic pollution. It's either that or a desire to save petrol (money), because most drivers turn off their engines when stuck at the lights. Either way it helps cut back on having to breath in polluted air. Having said that the air quality in general isn't great here.

Such a vibrant place has given rise to a high proportion of the rich living here. I can't say that is a fact but I have been shown around by friends here and it seems the clubs and societies left by the British are still in full swing under Indian operation. The old viceroys house is still inhabited by the Govenor of West Bengal. On a few occasions we have had problems purely because people want to abuse their position. I thought it was to do with baksheesh but I now realise it was purely because they could.

These are only surface opinions. I'd like to stay here longer. It is somewhere I could get along with.

Sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home